Sunday, March 20, 2011

Things To Do #1: Yohji Yamamoto at the V&A


This summer, I'll be interning for the 2nd time at the Victoria and Albert Museum in South Kensington in the Fashion, Textiles and Furniture Department. I'll also be conducting interviews for my thesis while at the V&A! I'm more than thrilled that I'll be able to spend a few weeks at the V&A with some of the nicest people. From March 11 - July 10, the V&A is exhibiting 'Yohji Yamamoto,' an exhibit celebrating the work of the famed Japanese designer. I've been following the curator's blog throughout the planning process and I cannot wait to see the exhibit in person.
I've seen a few pictures of the exhibit through the V&A website, but there is nothing better than seeing an exhibit in person. And according to the NY Times article 'Feeling the Flow of Yamamoto,' visitors will be able to touch the garments on display, as only one dress is behind glass. The ability to touch a piece of clothing on display is rather innovative and rarely implemented - I cannot wait to experience this aspect of the exhibit! 
Along with the Yamamoto exhibit, I'll be able to spend a good amount of time exploring the various galleries of the V&A. On my last visit to London, I saw the opening of the jewelry gallery, which houses beautiful creations from all over the world. Also on display this summer, the 'Future Fashion Now' exhibits new designs from the Royal College of Art, and 'David Watkins - Artist in Jewellery, a Retrospective View (1972 - 2010).'  With all these gorgeous items on display, I'm sure I'll find inspiration by exploring the museum, as well as through my work there.

P.S. the 'Things To Do' posts will be a continuous process where I write about what I'd like to do this summer in London. Once there, I'll update the blog with what I've done and hopefully I'll be able to cross everything off my list! Suggestions on interesting things to do/see are more than welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment