Tuesday, March 22, 2011

White Pizza with Tomato and Basil

One of the ways I stay connected with cities I've visited that I loved is through food. I've been picking up 'Cooking Light' whenever there's a new issue because the recipes are usually pretty easy and tasty! Tonight I'm trying 'White Pizza with Tomato and Basil' from the March 2011 issue. I'll be sure to post a picture once the pizza is finished (as long as I'm not ashamed of it...)! Here's the recipe:

1 (10 ounce) Italian cheese-flavored thin pizza crust (here I'm using pizza dough from the deli section of my local grocery store - usually I would use whole wheat but they were all out!)
1 teaspoon cornmeal
Cooking Spray
3 tablespoons refrigerated pesto with basil
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded fresh mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1/2 cup sliced small tomatoes (I picked up cherry tomatoes)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup small basil leaves
Crushed red pepper (optional)

1. Preheat broiler to high
2. Place a baking sheet in oven; heat for 10 minutes
3. While baking sheet heats, place crust on another baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal. Lightly coat crust with cooking spray. Spread pesto evenly over crust, leaving 1-inch border; sprinkle mozzarella evenly over pesto. Dollop ricotta, by teaspoonfuls, evenly over mozzarella. Slide crust onto preheated baking sheet, using spatula as a guide. Broil 5 inches from heat for 5 minutes or until cheese begins to melt. Remove from oven; top evenly with tomatoes, black pepper, and basil. Sprinkle with red pepper, if desired. Cut into 8 slices.

Now, I don't have a broiler so this poses a problem. I'm thinking I'll simply add all the ingredients on to the crust and cook in the oven at 450 for 10-15 minutes. I'll post later tonight with how this turns out!

Grand Canal, Venice, Italy


Piazza Bra, Verona, Italy

After spending two and a half months in Verona, Italy on a study abroad program during college, I now have an eternal love for all things Italian: food, fashion, wine, language, and art! I've always loved Italian food but it's been further emphasized since my trip to the beautiful country. I love exploring cultures through food and I plan to continue this experiment in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment