Friday, May 27, 2011

Grocery Stores

I know this seems like a random post, but I love going grocery shopping and it's a different experience in London than in the US! I'm headed to Trader Joes later today, and it got me thinking of the transitions I'll have to make in a month while I'm in London. Where I'm (hopefully) staying in London, I'll have easy access to a Waitrose, Tesco and Sainsbury's. All three of these grocery stores are within a five minute walk from my flat. In the past, I've spent most of my time and money at Waitrose and Tesco. Waitrose is rather nice and carries a good variety of food. Tesco is a cheaper, quicker grocery store - something I would equate to Wal-Mart but on a MUCH smaller scale and only selling food. In the past I've gone to Tesco for things like cereal, snacks, and sodas. I also like Sainbury's but I'll be honest - two summers ago I had a problem finding the store that was supposedly located near by flat! I guess I'll try again this summer as I've shopped at Sainbury's before and liked their selection.

A bit further out, I've got access to a Whole Foods and Marks & Spencer. I LOVE both of these grocery stores. Whole Foods, as many of you know, is pretty amazing. (And I'm thrilled that we're getting one next year in Charlotte). While amazing, it's also pretty pricey so I try not to go there too often. However, they carry fuji apples, my favorite apple, and they're virtually nonexistent elsewhere in London!

One thing I've had to get used to in the past is the increased frequency of grocery store visits. In the US, we're so used to going to the grocery store and making huge trips. Filling up an entire cart (and sometimes more) with food that will last weeks. In the UK, and in Italy when I lived there, we would go to the grocery store almost daily. This is mostly because refrigerator's are often smaller overseas - I usually have one the size of a mini-fridge. Oddly enough, going to the grocery store so often doesn't bother me. Within a 5 minute walk, I'm at the store. Living in a big city with fantastic transportation and things within walking distance is a great experience.

I must admit - I love going to the grocery store in the US as well. I think I just like food!

No comments:

Post a Comment