Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Guide Books




Even though this will be my third long trip to London, I still feel the need to go over prepared with a few guide books. Through the years I've come to find a few authors/companies that I really like in regards to guide books. On my trip to London two years ago I bought Rick Steves' London 2009 and Time Out  Shortlist London 2009. These books were definitely used to find important information and suggestions. I recently placed an order on Amazon for the 2011 versions of these books because I thought they were great the first time around.

In 2008 when I traveled to Italy for nearly 3 months, Rick Steves' became my group's "travel bible" - Rick told us everything we needed to know and we loved him dearly for it. He told us the best restaurants in town (a restaurant in Siena is still one of my best memories and greatest recommendation), when museums opened/closed, how to sneak into the Murano glass blowing center in Venice, and other extremely useful information. Trusting the knowledge of Rick Steves, I found his book useful again in 2009. While I had been to London before, I still needed access to information Rick had! So I'm sure this time around he won't disappoint and I'm already looking forward to scanning the pages when the book arrives.

The second guide book I've purchased is Time Out Shortlist London 2011. This smaller version of Time Out London gives time specific information for a trip. There are sections on music events, museum exhibits and special events occurring each year. The book also includes sections on dining, shopping, the nightlife, and hotels. Each chapter centers around a certain "section" of London - so if I'm staying in South Kensington (which I am), I can go to that chapter and see what restaurants or bars are nearby that are recommended. There is also a calendar which lays out all the events occuring in 2011. In 2009 I found this book very useful and easy to carry around so I'm excited to use it again!



What guide books do you use on trips? Do you go blind or use recommendations from friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment