Thursday, April 7, 2011

Spring Break 2008



Siena, Italy

This time three years ago I was studying abroad in Italy and my group and I were on our "spring break" for the semester. My spring break 2008 was unlike any experience I've ever had before, or will ever have again. We traveled from Verona (our home in Italy) to Siena, Florence, San Gimignano, Pompeii, Naples, Sorrento, and Rome over a 10 day period. Seeing as much of Italy as I did was amazing but I still would like to go back and see more of it! Italy is definitely a place I'm lucky to have been and am very thankful for the experiences I had there.

One of my favorite cities in Italy was Siena - a small town outside of Florence. It has what Rick Steves' (the author of our travel 'bible' while in Italy) called the greatest square in Europe - and so far I agree with him. The central 'square' (it's not square in shape at all...) was a great place to lay in the sun, drink some wine, and enjoy friends and people-watching (and possibly take some posing with friends photos...). If anyone has seen the most recent James Bond movie (Quantum of Solace) Siena is the city in the opening scenes where Daniel Craig is chasing someone through the crowds! And in "Letters to Juliet" the main characters travel to Siena and are seen eating gelato outside a gelato shop right in front of a set of stairs - I ate at this same gelato shop! Oh, Siena is VERY hilly so be prepared for a good workout!

Since my time in Italy, a few family friends have traveled there and have come to me for suggestions - I always tell them to go to Siena if at all possible. Great restaurants and bars line the main square, beautiful cathedrals and art abound, and the scenery is absolutely beautiful. I could not have asked for a better spring break and it's one I will always remember. My fingers are crossed that I'll be able to go back one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment