Friday, April 8, 2011

Under the Tuscan Sun



Florence, Italy

As you all know by now, I spent close to 3 months in Italy during college and loved every minute of it! I made a few trips to Florence as one of my best friends was living there and again with my parents. After visiting the city and falling in love with it, I knew I wanted to read "Under the Tuscan Sun" by Frances Mayes. I had very high expectations for this book and unfortunately, they weren't met. I'll concede that my expectations came from the movie so I can't say it's all the authors fault that my expectations weren't met. While Mayes did a great job of explaining what makes Italy, and particularly the Tuscan region, so wonderful, I sometime found myself a little bored (I hate to say that about a book!). I made it through the book and ended up very happy I read it. I loved the inclusion of traditional Italian recipes throughout the chapters and I envy Mayes for her ability to describe the wonders of Italy. I'm also a little jealous of Mayes - she has my ultimate dream job - to be able to travel around the world and write about it to share with others seems like a pretty good gig to me! If you haven't read "Under the Tuscan Sun," I'd say to give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment