Thursday, April 21, 2011

To Do #6: Shopping!

Parliament and Big Ben

One of the most obvious things to do in a big city is to go shopping. The problem lies in that I'll be on a limited budget so most things will be out of reach - but a girl can dream! Below I've listed a few stores that I'll probably go into and look around, but most likely won't come out with anything (unless the summer sales are going on). And yes, a few of them were influenced by Kate Middleton!

Whistles - This store is great for it's updated classics. While a little pricey (the dollar-pound conversion doesn't help either), I think it would be a great investment to purchase something from this British fashion staple. Of course, there's always the Middleton reference.

Jigsaw - This may be the store that Middleton worked at after St. Andrews, but I've loved it for a long time! Their pieces are unique but long-lasting and I've been wanting to purchase something from here for a longtime. Before Anthropologie went across the pond, Jigsaw was the British equivalent.

V&A Bookshop/Gift shop - While working at the V&A two summers ago, I gained a strong appreciation for the gift shop and book store in the museum. Of course, I spent a little bit too much money in both places, but in the end I think it was worth it. The gift shop carries a unique range of gift options, including jewelry, paper dolls, prints, and cards among other things. I love the bookstore, as it carries unique books in categories relevant to the various collections in the museum. Right now, the gift shop is carrying a line of Royal Wedding memorabilia so hopefully I can pick up a gift!

Kings Road - A short walk from my flat and the V&A, King's Road is known for it's abundance of high-end shops in a small area. Not only is this where an Anthropologie has opened up, but also well-known British brands like Cath Kidson, All Saints, Karen Millen and a personal favorite, Orla Kiely are located here. With a Jigsaw and Whistles along the road, I think I'll be able to do most of my shopping in this area of South Kensington! And yes, Kate Middleton did just do some shopping along Kings Road...

Borough Market - Who doesn't love a good foodie market? I've been to the Borough Market once before and was instantly in love with all the local vendors selling their amazing food/drinks. From traditional British fare to Italian favorites like fresh mozzarella and bruschetta, I couldn't think of a better way to spend a sunny Saturday afternoon. I'm definitely looking forward to revisiting this wonderful market!

I think this list is a pretty decent start on my shopping to-do, so I'm going to leave it at this for the day. I'm sure I'll continue to add to my shopping list and I'll be sure to update everyone along the way!

PS - the picture has nothing to do with shopping, but I thought it was time for a traditionally London photo to appear!

No comments:

Post a Comment