Tuesday, April 19, 2011

To Do #5: Althorp Estate



Althorp Estate is the ancestral home of the Spencer family since the 16th century. Princess Diana, being a member of the Spencer family, spent a lot of her youth at the estate. Currently, the groups are open July 1-30 each summer and all the proceeds from visitors go to the Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fund. On the grounds is the final resting place of Princess Diana as well as an exhibit which contains her wedding dress from her 1982 wedding to Prince Charles. I've wanted to go here for awhile, and I think I may find the time this summer. The estate is located north of London, so I'm sure I'll be able to hop a train to get there. It would be sort of a sad visit since Diana is no longer with us, but I think it would be a good trip. On the lands there is also a lake, stables, and gardens so there would be plenty to do. And after the big wedding in 10 days, I think it would be a great experience to see the place where Diana grew up and where William would've spent some time as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment